Representing a new standard of excellence, the Epson Stylus Pro 9890 incorporates the latest achievements in photographic ink jet technology. By combining the precision of the MicroPiezo™ TFP™ print head with the proven performance of the eight-color Epson UltraChrome K3™ with Vivid Magenta, the newest generation of Epson Stylus Pro printers continue to represent a level of technology unprecedented in Epson's history.
Epson UltraChrome K3 with Vivid Magenta utilizes eight colors - including auto-switching Photo and Matte Black inks - while setting the benchmark standard for the industry. Even more remarkable, by combining them with the new AccuPhoto™ HD screening technology, Epson has once again raised the level of print quality.
The advanced Epson MicroPiezo TFP print head is capable of producing higher quality prints, at speeds almost twice as fast as the previous generation. And, with the latest ink-repelling coating and auto nozzle verification technologies, clogged nozzles are virtually eliminated.
Like the higher-end Epson Stylus Pro 900 series printers, Epson has developed, in partnership with X-Rite™, a high performance, in-line spectrophotometer for commercial proofing applications. When driven by the latest front-end RIPs, the SpectroProofer™ can automate virtually any color management process in your workflow.
With printers capable of handling virtually any media type, in roll or cut sheets, up to 24 or 44 inches wide, Epson continues to set the standard for professional media use. Whether producing sellable color or black-and-white photography, point-of-sale signage, or even color accurate commercial proofs for client approvals, creative professionals now have a powerful tool allowing them to produce their vision without compromise.
With every new introduction of an Epson Stylus Pro printer, we continue to innovate and refine the overall experience. With the introduction of the latest Epson Stylus Pro 890 series printers, Epson is once again redefining what's possible from photographic ink jet printing.
High-Precision Eight-Channel Epson MicroPiezo TFP Print Head
- Thin Film Piezo (TFP) print head design capable of handling eight separate ink channels
- One-inch wide high-performance print head with 360 nozzles per channel
- Auto-sharing black ink channel technology
- Low vibration meniscus control for highly accurate dot shape and placement
- All-new ink-repelling coating to dramatically reduce nozzle clogging
- Produces variable-sized droplets as small as 3.5 picoliter to greatly decrease print times while optimizing photographic quality
Epson UltraChrome K3 with Vivid Magenta Ink Technology
- Industry-defining, 8-Color, Pigment-Based Ink System
- Unique formulation of Magenta pigments for extreme blues and purples
- Designed to work with Epson AccuPhoto HD screening technology
- Professional print permanence ratings
- Outstanding short-term color stability for mission-critical Improved Microcrystal Encapsulation™ technology for reduced gloss differential
- Improved black density up to 2.6 with an L* value ~3.0*
* Dmax and L* values are based on Epson Premium Luster Photo Paper (260)
AccuPhoto™ HD Screening
- Advanced screening algorithm, resulting in prints with superior color and clarity
- Maximum resolution of 2880 x 1440 dpi for incredibly sharp text and line art
- Produces extremely fine blends and photographic transitions
- Extremely accurate highlight-to-shadow detail
- No visible photographic graininess due to the printing process*
- Ensures consistent color balance regardless of the viewing light source
- When combined with the precise dot placement accuracy of the Epson MicroPiezo TFP print head, overall photographic print quality is dramatically improved
* Photographic graininess could still be visible if present in the actual file being printed.
- Unique production technology to ensure printer-to-printer color consistency
- Colorimetric calibration is performed during the manufacturing process
- This process automatically evaluates and adjusts the color performance of each printer produced
- The result is extreme color repeatability for demanding color performance over time
- Completely eliminates the need for internal printer calibration devices or procedures
Automatic Nozzle Verification and Cleaning
- Embedded sensors quickly verify nozzle status without using media
Automatic Print Head Alignment
- Built-in sensor performs highly precise alignments of all color channels
- Aligns both single and bi-directional print modes
Three-Level Black Ink Technology
- Simultaneously uses Black, Light Black, and Light Light Black inks
- Significantly improves the gray balance while eliminating colorcasts
- Outstanding highlight-to-shadow grayscale accuracy for a smoother tonal range
- Virtually eliminates any bronzing of the basic pigment chemistry
- Enhances the ICC profiling process for ColorSync™ and ICM™ workflows
Automatic Black Ink Mode Switching
- Both Photo and Matte Black ink cartridges are installed
- Depending upon your media type or driver setting, the printer will automatically switch
- Switching can occur automatically or provide a warning before proceeding
- Highly-efficient print head design ensures fast switching with minimal ink usage
- Automatically ensures optimum black ink density, regardless of media type used
Professional Media Handling
- Compatible with virtually any media type, in roll or cut sheets, up to 24 or 44 inches wide
- Accurate loading of cut-sheet media, up to 1.5mm thick posterboard
- All media is front-loaded via a unique straight-through media path
- Printer and driver based media identification and synchronization system for virtually error-free media use
- Media bin safely captures multiple prints up to 24" x 36" or 44" x 36"
- Optional Automatic Take-up Reel System for unattended production of large print runs (SP9890 only)
ePlaten™ Media Loading Technology
- Accurate automatic media loading, movement, and tracking
- Electronically controlled roll media rewind and take-up
- Automatic roll media rewind upon media release
- Simplifies the overall roll and cut-sheet media loading process
Spindle-Free Roll Media Loading
- User-adjustable roll media adapters accepts either 2- or 3-inch media cores
- Simple tension lever ensures quick and secure media core loading
- Designed with Epson ePlaten technology for highly-accurate roll media usage
- Additional media adapter pairs available as an accessory for efficient roll media switching
Roll Media Length Tracking and Identification System
- Real-time automatic remaining roll media length counter
- Automatic bar code tagging of remaining roll media information for faster reloading
- Very useful for tracking partially used media rolls
High Performance Rotary Cutting System
- Durable rotary cutter, designed to be virtually maintenance free
- High performance cutting speeds - cuts 24" to 44" wide rolls in under two seconds
- Off-carriage cutting system eliminates media dust within critical components
- Capable of cutting virtually any media type, including most canvas and fine art papers
High Performance Print Engine Speeds
Utilizing the latest print head technology, the Epson Stylus Pro 7890 and 9890 series printers are among the fastest wide-format printers in the industry.
* HS = High-Speed Print Mode (Bi-directional Print Mode) | Print speeds are shown in min:sec
||16" x 20"
||20" x 30"
||40" x 60" (9890 only)
|Fine - 720 dpi 'Production Mode'
|Fine - 720 dpi HS*
|SuperFine - 1440 dpi HS*
|SuperPhoto - 2880 dpi HS*
Production Mode = HS + Super MicroWeave 'Off'
Easy-to-Use Front Control Panel
- High-resolution 2.5" color LCD for improved viewing of printer status
- Simple button layout for all navigation and basic printer functions
SpectroProofer™ 24 and 44
- Optional 24- or 44-inch wide spectrophotometer developed jointly with X-Rite™
- Simple installation fits cleanly into the front of the Epson Stylus Pro 7890 and 9890
- Incorporates a high-performance X-Rite ILS20 spectrophotometer for extreme measurement accuracy below 0.2 dE-CMC
- UV-cut and non-UV-cut versions available at time of purchase
- Both black or white interchangeable backing plates included
- Built-in print dryer to accelerate the dry-down and reading process
- When driven by the latest software RIP front-ends, Epson SpectroProofer can automate virtually any color management process in your workflow
- Standard connectivity includes one USB 2.0 and one 10/100 BaseT Ethernet port
- Professional Epson Photographic Drivers for Macintosh™ and Windows™
- Fully supported by most leading third party RIPs and workflows
World Class Service and Support
- Includes one-year of limited coverage under the Epson Preferred Protection Plan with toll-free telephone support available Monday through Friday and usually next-business-day on-site service
- Optional one- or two-year Epson Preferred Plus service plans available
EFI™ eXpress for Epson included with Designer Edition Bundles
- Easy-to-Use intuitive interface saves time and produces accurate output.
- Print directly from the latest creative design software, or drag-and-drop files to a hot folder.
- True Adobe™ PDF and Postscript 3 print engine ensures compatibility with your design files.
- Professional ICC color management, based on BestColor technology used in the commercial EFI Colorproof XF RIP offered with the Epson Proofing Edition Series.
- Handles both CMYK data for accurate proofing to industry standards, and RGB data for exceptional results with Photography and Fine Art.
- Reproduces accurate spot colors with the included PANTONE, DIC, HKS, and TOYO libraries.
- True cross platform network printing via hot folder or eXpress Virtual Print technology.
- Software supported on both Macintosh OS X and Microsoft Windows operating systems.
- Includes Epson media support out of the box, and the ability to add custom media types.
Base Printing Technology
Advanced MicroPiezo TFP print head with ink repelling coating technology
8-channel, drop-on-demand, ink jet print head
9-cartridge configured as:
C, Lc, VM, VLm, Y, Lk, LLk + PK or MK
Auto head alignment and cleaning technology
Auto sharing black ink channel
Professional-level pigment-based ink technology
Printer Nozzle Configuration
Color and Monochrome 360 nozzles x 8
Smallest droplet size 3.5 picoliters
Variable Droplet Technology produces up to three different droplet sizes per print line
2880 x 1440 dpi; 1440 x 1440 dpi; 1440 x 720 dpi;
720 x 720 dpi; 720 x 360 dpi; 360 x 360 dpi
Print Engine SpeedsA
|16" x 20" prints from 1:53 to 7:14
||Normal is 3:47
|20" x 30" prints from 4:03 to 12:52
||Normal is 6:39
|40" x 60" prints from 12:26 to 40:05
||Normal is 24:20
Acoustic Noise Level
Approximately 45 dB(A) according to ISO 7779
Operating Systems Supported
||Leopard 10.5.8 or higher (16-bit)
Snow Leopard 10.6 or higher (16-bit)
||XP, Vista, and Windows 7 (32 & 64-bit)
Includes as standard one Hi-Speed USB 2.0 (1.1 compatible) and one Ethernet port (10/100Base-T)
||74" (W) x 27" (D) x 48" (H) Weight: 256 lb
Dimensions and weight include printer stand
BorderFree® Roll Printing
Left and right borderless "bleed" printing for the following roll media widths:
||10", 13", 16", 17", 24", 36", 44"
Top and bottom edges can be automatically cut to any length when printing on roll media.
Optional SpectroProofer (24/44)
||24" or 44" wide
||Below 0.50 dE94
|Minimum patch size
||7 mm x 15 mm
||15 patches per second
||UV and UV-cut version available (at time of order)
||White and black backing plates included
||Up to 18 point (0.45 mm)
||Both internal/external temperature readings
||Most leading third-party RIPs and workflows. Fully supported by the Epson Proofing Edition Series.
|Maximum paper width
|Maximum printable width
|Left and right margins
||0 to 3 mm each (0.24" total)
|Maximum printable length
||Limited by application, OS, and driver/RIP used
|Minimum paper width
||210 mm (8.27")
||Single roll up to 44" wide
||Cut-sheet up to 44" wide (auto-loading)
|Roll media take-up reel
||Auto forward and backward;
||Light-based media tension sensor
|Media core compatibility
||User-adjustable roll media adapters accept either 2" or 3" media cores
|Max. roll media diameter
||6" (when using a 3" core)
||12 lb bond up to 1.5 mm posterboard
|Minimum sheet size
||8.27" x 11"
|Built-in media cutter
||Rotary cutting, automatic and manual
Epson Intelligent Pressurized Ink CartridgesB
|Starter cartridge fill volume
||110 ml x 9 total colors (used for initial fill at setup)
|Replacement cartridge fill volume
||150 ml, 350 ml or 700 ml, each color x 9 colors total
|Ink cartridge shelf life (recommended)
||2 years from production date or 6 months after open
Display Permanence RatingsC
Epson UltraChrome K3 with Vivid Magenta Ink
||Up to 200 years
||Over 200 years
Epson PreciseColor™ Manufacturing
In order to ensure consistent printing between multiple Epson Stylus Pro printers of the same model, Epson has refined the manufacturing process to include colorimetric calibration. This process evaluates and adjusts each printer's performance at the manufacturing stage, ensuring consistent color output from printer-to-printer and print-to-print.
Epson UltraChrome K3 with Vivid Magenta Ink
|Vivid Light Magenta
|Light Light Black
Epson 9880 inkjet printers